Runes 2.0 was released in January 2023
Providing users with skill-based decisions is a priority for Taunt Battleworld. Runes are tactical choices that Contenders make for their warriors prior to fighting in Brawls.
Runes, if activated, can provide buffs to a player's warrior or nerfs to the opposing warrior. The activation of runes is dependent on the choices of both players.
During the tournament registration process, players select a Rune choice for their warrior, and that selection will persist in every Brawl throughout that tournament. Down the line, we are aiming to evolve this choice into a round-level decision.
There are a total of 5 rune choices:
Runes interact with one another according to this diagram:
- By default, runes are activated
- However, if a player (e.g. Player A) selects a rune that precedes the other (e.g. Player B) according to the rune diagram, then only the preceding rune becomes activated (e.g. Player A)
- Player A selects Spirit, and Player B selects Energy
- Because Spirit precedes Energy, only the Spirit rune is activated.
- If both players select the same rune, then both runes are activated
With each season, Rune activation logic will be shuffled (i.e. the order of the Runes)
Every rune choice has its own activation effect, and that effect can be further amplified if the Race of the warrior matches with the associated Rune.
This table describes the Races and their associated Runes:
This table describes the rune activation effects:
We want this choice for users to be engaging and involve a bit of game theory. Eventually, Runes will evolve from a tournament-level choice to a round-level choice where users will be able to select a Rune prior to every round in their fight, along with data on their opponent’s historical rune selections for that warrior.